Heirloom tomatoes from my garden

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Third time is the charm...

Well folks, as of October 3, 2013, I have joined the gainfully employed workforce once again, this time at the same firm that laid me off in November of last year.  All I can say is that at least they hired me back and that should do wonders for my re'sume'.   Hopefully, this is the last job I will need, but if I need another job, they will see that S&L hired me 3 times and so it wasn't due to poor performance, just economic times!  

I will say that since the first (and only other time) I was laid off, employers choose prospective employees much differently than what I had been used to, in that they don't seem to want to meet prospective employees on a face-to-face basis unless there is something awfully special about their re'sume'.  I have never had as much trouble getting in front of someone as this past year.  I even tried getting an online gig, but all I got for my trouble there was someone trying to scam me.  Plus, I wonder what the employers were thinking...were they looking at my re'sume' and thinking they didn't want an old gal?  As it turns out, I am replacing a "younger model" who was very unreliable.  They could not depend on her showing up.  As I am cleaning up the aftermath of her unreliable work ethic, I'm not altogether sure she was as good at the job as they thought she was.  They were fed up.  So, I am working again.    

The bad side of getting employed now is that my vacation time is now on hold until I garner enough time to take one at work.  So, for now I will just put my head down, nose to the grindstone and get the job done.  Can't say I won't be enjoying the new found financial freer (not freedom) time.  Getting a real paycheck should help a LOT.  Once I get caught up and we are on a level playing field, I think I might see if I can get a couple of freelancing gigs I can do in my off-time to help better with the finances.  Maybe offer a records retrieval service that I can run from home and when it comes time to sell the house, I can take the job with me.  We will see...

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment