Heirloom tomatoes from my garden

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Time flies


Boy, times sure flies!  I've been busy working at home and busy with life in general, looking for work, working the garden, working on cleaning and packing up the house.  I am looking forward to a week of vacation on our property in the San Luis Valley to visit our little "home away from home" aka a 32-year-old 28-foot RV that has been bravely weathering the elements all alone in the wilderness on our back 40.  Last visit was about 2 years ago and for the second year in a row, we have arrived to very few signs of rodent entry but plenty of dead bugs (flies and moths).  Not sure what they find so irresistable to risk becoming dried up little mummies in the RV... maybe the leftover smells of my cooking?  It couldn't be much else as we leave no food or moisture behind. 

Anyway, it had been really nice to escape the heat of Texas (try 110 heat index) and get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life in the city.  Not that Denton is a big city, but compared to life on 40 acres in the south part of the desert valley - two different worlds!  Not to mention that I have to learn how to cook at high altitude when we go up there - it's 8900 feet above sea level and things just don't cook the same.  For example...

I decided to try to make some rice (brown) pudding and cheat by cooking the rice in the milk (in this case, vanilla almond milk) we brought with us and it took the rice almost 3 hours, yes that's right, 3 HOURS, to become al dente.  I brought it home to try to rescue as its certainly not creamy.  Also, when things come to a boil it takes very little heat to keep it going and when you take it off the heat, it cools off very quickly.


Last summer the heat sure did a number on my garden.  Got a few cucumbers, okra, basil and mustard and by this time last year I was getting arugula, but it was SPICY! Two tomato plants and most of my pepper plants made it through but by fall they were not doing much.  I remember thinking about plowing it all under and starting over except the arugula.  Well, this summer despite the heat, which was actually a bit late and we're still having higher temperatures, we have had quite a few nice cruciferous salads as well as some amaranth, cucumbers (mostly Armenian), beans, tomatoes, peppers, basil, dill, coriander/cilantro, fennel, onions, garlic, peas, lettuce, potatoes, Lamb's Quarters, purslane and spinach.  The cucurbits (cucumbers, melons, pumpkins) have had a rough summer though.  The aphids really hit them hard, some so badly I had to pull them up.  I released lady bugs and have seen a few adults and nymphs that look like little red and black alligators gobbling up the aphids.  In spite of this, I had a monster Armenian hide out until I found it weighing in at 8.2 pounds!  That was about a week ago and I'm contemplating how I'm going to use it.  Probably going to end up any number of things be the end of it.  I have been waiting for the temps to cool enough that I can stand to be out there pulling up things that need to go and planting new stuff like more brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, mustard, collards and the like).  Also, it's time to put in the root crops like potatoes, turnips, parsnips and carrots.   Several weeks ago, I started some new tomato plants and need to get them put out.  I have a couple of Roma tomato plants that I direct seeded that came up and look pretty good.  The Chocolate Cherry and Lemon Boy varieties have picked back up and the peppers as well.  The amaranth is in bloom as it is a burgundy type and is very pretty.  I'm just waiting for the seed to mature.  

I planted a few Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year.  Was too late to order them from the seed catalog, but I found some at the grocery store and planted them out.  They have just begun to bloom and are so tall that I had to stake them and tie the group up.  I think one of them is almost 15 feet tall!!  I can't wait for harvest time.  I'm getting the new flush of beans, limas are coming on, the yard long beans are doing well and the tomatillos are ballooning up pretty well.  The asparagus is all ferned out and I can't wait until this coming spring when I can harvest some!!!

As I write this blog, I am waiting for my first loaf of gluten free bread to proof.  My sister Angel makes this bread in honor of our sister Renee as she is gluten intolerant.  I decided to give her version a try to celebrate the almost year long hiatus that my oven took.  I apparently burnt out the control panel cooking something that boiled over.  So, for the past year or so, I have been trying to do without an oven.  You sure don't realize how much you use the oven until you don't have one!  I tried "baking" a loaf of bread in my crock pot and while it wasn't a total loss, it was less than desireable.  For the most part, we have relegated ourselves to eating tortillas and bargain rack bread.  So, if I am successful in baking a nice loaf of bread, I will be ecstatic!

Well, I better get going.  Later!!











No comments:

Post a Comment